Craps play across the globe
Casinos around the world offer their patrons the opportunity to experience the thrill and excitement of the dice game known as Craps, however the entire experience is built not only upon the game itself, but also where you choose to play it.
There are a number of gambling Mecca’s across the globe, but here we have selected the most popular destinations and taken a look at what you can expect when visiting these places.
With around 40 million visitors each year and tens of billions of dollars spent on gaming alone, there is little dispute that the fabulous Las Vegas Nevada is one of the most exciting destinations in the world to visit. The number of famous casinos within this metropolis stretch for miles in an ever widening expanse and each year it seems that each group goes the extra mile in an attempt to top the rest. This competition has lead to some of the most fantastic experiential vacations one could imagine and many benefits are passed along to casino players in attempt to attract and hold their attention.
When it comes to playing our favourite dice game though, there are a few places that really stand out from the crowds:
- Best Odds: If you're looking for the best odds in town, Casino Royale is the place to play. Conveniently located on the Vegas Strip this casino offers 100x odds on two craps tables which you will battle to find anywhere else. The betting limits at the tables range from around $3 to a maximum of $500 and maximum odds bets are set at $2,500 per bet. This casino is not the best looking around, but with odds like this it’s definitely worth the visit.
- Lowest Table limits: There is cheap and there's cheap, the former option would entail a visit to casinos like Sunset or Boulder Stations, Arizona Charlies (either one) or Slots a Fun which all feature $2 table limits. However if you’re more inclined to the latter and are in for a bit of adventure, ask one of the locals to direct you to Nevada Palace, which is a smaller suburban casino with only one table and the lowest minimums you’ve ever seen.
- Highest Betting limits: The Golden Nugget Casino wins this category, simply because it offers some of the highest table limits featuring maximum bets of $5,000 along with good table odds of 6x, 8x and 10x. There are a handful of other casinos with the same maximum bet allowance like The Wynn, The Mirage, Bellagio, MGM, The Venetian and Caesar's Palace, however these casinos feature 3-4-5x odds.
And if you feel like playing something other than craps, many good alternatives are available in every casino both Downtown or on the Strip.
Atlantic City is another of the US's top gambling destinations that has developed into a thriving entertainment centre featuring Casinos, World-class entertainment, night life and fine dining on the ocean's edge. What more could you ask for?
Well, if you’re a craps enthusiast, probably "where is the best place to play in town?" and we’ve got the answers for you right here:
- Best Odds: Look around at the casinos in Atlantic City and you will notice most offer 5x odds at their tables so there is not much difference from one casino to the next, but if you are looking for variety with these odds then the best places to visit are either Caesars which offers 12 tables or the Tropicana with a selection of 11 tables.
- Lowest Table Limits: Again the limits in this city are pretty standardised from place to place. Weekly minimums are around $5 to $10 and on week-ends and holidays increase to approximately $25 and up.
- Highest Table Limits: Caesars and Bally’s casinos offer $5000 minimums as well as 5x odds and are the best places to play if you are feeling both lucky and rich.
Monte Carlo is an exclusive part of the principality of Monaco that is steeped in wealth, history and sophistication. The first casino was built in the mid nineteenth century by Prince Charles III of Monaco and today it is one of Europe’s most elite gambling destinations. Unlike Las Vegas and Atlantic City, Monte Carlo features only a handful of casinos, but what it lacks in quantity is definitely made up for in quality.
While Craps is not one of the most popular games in Monte Carlo (it is perceived as an “American” game) there are still some options if you are visiting, although it is definitely not a destination to frequent if you are only looking to play this dice game.
- Best Odds: Le Sun Casino with its imitation of "American" casinos offers odds of 2-3-4x.
- Lowest Table Limits: Le Sun Casino located in the Loews Hotel caters best to craps players and offers standard rules and some lower table limits with a minimum of around $2. It also has a more relaxed atmosphere and the dress code is casual.
- Highest Table Limits: These can be found at the prestigious Le Casino de Monte Carlo, in the Salle des Amériques which boasts a single craps table with a maximum of around $800 in public rooms and $1,500 in the private ones on a €25 minimum and 1x odds, which means that you should rather go to places with lower limits and better odds like the Sun Casino.
Set against the beautiful landscape of the city, the gaudy casinos of Macau create a magnificent contrast that inspires the admiration of even the most seasoned casino veteran. The city, which has experienced phenomenal growth in its casino industry over the past few years has become the new attraction for casino players and tourists alike.
Craps is a relatively new game for Macau, in fact it only saw the first game in 2007 at Casino Lisboa and so the casino staff are still getting accustomed to it and you'll have to be patient at some places and just enjoy the slower pace of the game. That said, here’s where to go depending on what you are looking for:
- Best Odds: Try to place at the international brands like the Venetian or the Wynn to ensure that you get 3-4-5x odds. Casino Lisboa, although it was the first ever casino to offer craps in Macau on a single table has only 2x odds.
- Lowest Table Limits: Minimums usually range from $15 t0 $25 at most casinos. Casino Lisboa offers the lowest limits around although the odds aren't really a motivation to play here even with the cheaper tables.
- Highest Table Limits: Wynn Macau has introduced a number of tables to their casino and their maximums are on part with their Vegas casino counterpart at around $5000.
And if you are not fortunate to be in any of the above mentioned locations, don't worry, you can still play your favourite game at an online casino, all you need is a PC and an internet connection. You can learn more about playing land based vs online craps here.