Proposition Bets in Craps
In the game of craps, proposition bets are also referred to as prop bets or center bets due to their location on the layout of the craps table and cover a group of bets that can be placed during the game. While the craps table is usually a mirror image layout which is repeated on both ends, the proposition bet area falls in the center of the two layouts and is not repeated like the other sections. It is used by players on both sides of the table.
These types of bets generally require you to place your wager on a very specific outcome of the dice on a single roll. Once you have placed your bet the shooter will throw the dice and the numbers achieved in the outcome will determine whether or not you win or lose the proposition bet.
The exception to the proposition bets rule is the hardways proposition bet which is the only wager that may take a number of throws before you win or lose your bet.
Let's take a look at the various proposition bets available in the game of craps:
- Any Craps: These are bets on the so called "craps numbers" which are 2, 3 and 12
- Any Seven: This refers to the total of 7 made up by any dice combination, for example 6 and 1, 4 and 3 or 5 and 2.
- Craps Three: the number three in the game is called "craps three"
- Craps Twelve: the number twelve
- Hardways: This refers to a wager placed on the numbers four, six, eight or ten. When placing this bet if the selected number is thrown as a double you will win and if it is thrown in a different combination you lose.
- Horn: A horn bet is placed on four proposition numbers simultaneously
- Snake Eyes: this is the term for two ones being thrown
- Yo-Eleven: this the number eleven, which is referred to as yo-eleven to differentiate the sound from the similar sounding seven in order to avoid confusion and arguments.
When to Place a Proposition Bet
While you are able to place a proposition bet at any time you with during the game, you should place them before the shooter receives the dice to ensure good craps etiquette. That said though, proposition bets are the worst craps bets that you can make as they carry the highest house edges of all craps bets and as such, should be avoided completely if you're looking to win the bets you make and turn a profit at the Craps table.